Busted Mug

A blog that documents solutions to the most frustrating problems that occur during development in technologies such as Java, XML, AJAX, SQL, CSS and others that make me want to throw my coffee mug against the cube wall.

Friday, March 16, 2007

Mystery white space before a table

I was trying to debug some mystery white space that was appearing on a page before a table. For some reason the source code showed nothing before the table, but the display didn't agree.

Using FireBug (an add-on to firefox that i HIGHLY recommend) I was able to see that FFox thought that white space should be there because of some BR tags. Curious. I couldn't find them anywhere.

Finally tracing through I ran into a much more obfuscated version of this:

out.println("<table>");
for 
(int i=0i<contents.lengthi++){
    
out.println("<tr><td>" + contents[i] + "</td></tr><br>");
}

Note the BR on the end there. That's not valid. Apparently FFox handled this bad code by kicking the BRs to the head of the table. A simple fix to a problem that had me in mug busting mood BIG TIME.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home